I, David, Esrati, candidate for Congress in OH-10, 2024, As a devoted Democrat, I wholeheartedly pledge my allegiance to the core principles of Democrats 101. Believing in the fundamental idea of equality for all, I see it as a crucial part of America’s basic principles.
In my quest for a more inclusive, informed, and civic-minded society, I recognize America as a democracy governed by the Constitution, protected by the Bill of Rights, and inspired by the Declaration of Independence. These foundational documents emphasize the demands for Freedom, Justice, and Opportunity for all Americans, regardless of their identity or beliefs.
Understanding the significance of The Democratic Creed, I commit to integrating its principles into my personal and political journey. I aim to promote understanding and unity within the Democratic Party and contribute to serving our nation.
I pledge to incorporate The Democratic Creed into my education, campaigns, public communications, and events, ensuring its principles reach a wide audience within our party and across the nation.
Additionally, I vow to support the use of The Democratic Creed in local Democratic clubs, grassroots organizing, and candidate support activities to motivate and unite our fellow party members.
Lastly, I commit to regularly reflecting on and adapting my application of The Democratic Creed to keep it relevant and effective in advancing our shared values. Through this personal oath, I affirm my dedication to a truly Democratic Party with a mission to create a more just, equitable, and prosperous society for all.
29 Jan 2024
THE DEMOCRATIC CREED
We Believe All people are created equal, that this is America’s fundamental ideal.
We Believe That America is a democracy, by and for the people: ruled by the Constitution and its interpretations, protected by the Bill of Rights, and inspired by the Declaration of Independence.
We Believe These founding documents demand Freedom, Justice, and Opportunity for all Americans, in full and equal measure — regardless of who you are, what you believe or where you live.
We Believe That the Duty of government is to strive endlessly to make the ideals of Freedom, Justice, and Opportunity a reality for all.
We Believe That the Purpose of government is to protect our nation, defend our democracy, and to endlessly promote the welfare of each and every one of us.
We Believe That fighting for these ideals is our purpose as a political party.
- The right of every citizen to shape their own life, and their beliefs, so long as it does not infringe on the rights or safety of others.
- The free flow of information and movement.
- The right to privacy.
- Free and fair elections, at every level, in every place in America:
Elections that are fully transparent.
Elections that are free of the role of wealth and the wealthy.
Elections that guarantee unlimited and easy access to voting for every American citizen.
★ Justice means
- A society where every citizen is safe in their person and their home, and their day-to-day lives.
- A society where every citizen is treated with dignity, regardless of race, creed, or personal difference of any kind.
- A society where every citizen is treated equally before the law, and by the law.
- A society where racism is wrong, where discrimination is wrong, where the government intervenes when racism or discrimination threatens a person’s basic rights.
- Every American deserves an equal chance to pursue their dreams, to be judged on their ability and their effort alone.
- Every American, child and adult alike, deserves the education that gives them that chance.
- Every American adult deserves the chance to earn a living wage, and to work with dignity; a job where pay, working conditions, and treatment are suitable reward for the effort and skill put in.
- Every American deserves to live without fear of hunger or homelessness or lack of medical care. These things are not only rights, they are America’s moral duty to provide.
- Every American deserves to live in a healthy environment that includes clean air, clean water, and safe food.
- Every American deserves the chance to move forward: no one left out by change, and no one left behind … no matter who they are or where they live.
★We further believe that American democracy depends on:
- A free and independent press, dedicated to truth and objectivity.
- An educated citizenry with free and easy access to information.
- A nation that accepts and embraces diversity.
- Full financial transparency in election campaigns, in political office, and in government transactions.
- An American economy based on Free Enterprise, and protected by the government from the baser instincts of large corporations and the financially powerful.
- The continued existence of a strong military, free of political involvement and financial corruption, and dedicated to protecting us against all enemies foreign and domestic.
- Educators and law enforcement officers being treated as among the most important parts of society, highly paid and stringently selected, and meeting exacting national standards of professionalism, ethics and psychological motivation.
- American citizens who care. Without this, nothing is possible.
This is what we believe.
“DEMOCRATS 101 is a call to action for Democrats to start a national discussion and redefine our party’s identity in the context of an ever-changing America. Purvis’s writing is insightful and thought-provoking, urging readers to think critically about their beliefs and the future of the Democratic Party.” From an Amazon Review.
I was given a copy of this by Tim and Alison Benford of the South Dayton Democratic Club– and found it almost as inspiring as the two of them. The ideas in this book, are embodied in their actions to bring like minded people together to improve the standards of living for all in our America.
I highly recommend it for those searching for answers on why Democrats can’t seem to come up with answers to the MAGA movement.